Friday, December 14, 2012

That Orange Spikey Thing

 
*** Flash Back ***
I vividly remember making these in the first grade! At the time, we were living in Mt. Airy, NC; the town better known as Mayberry from the Andy Griffith Show. I loved it there, the schools, the snow, my neighbors, our fabulous yard with the greatest climbing trees! 
I recall a perfect slope on one side of the lawn that was great for sledding. There was also a grand basement with the spookiest coal room loved by all smallish visitors! 
We seemed to have company all the time which meant, all the cousins and I got to sleep on pallets in the living room! Popcorn and flashlights for all!
Somehow, the smell of oranges and cloves always takes me back to those grand and lovely days from my childhood!


Today, we live far away from any possibility of snow, however, I want my Little Mister to grow up with wonderful memories of his childhood. And perhaps, one day when he is a Big Mister, the smell of tangy oranges will bring back a flood of sweet memories to him as well!
I can only pray!


A bit of information:
The first pomanders were made from gold or silver. They were shaped like balls and hung
by a cord from the waist. They were filled with sweet smelling herbs and spices, and used
as perfume worn from the Middle Ages onward. They were also thought to keep one from getting sick. Today, pomanders are made from fresh fruits and are hung
in a closet to scent clothes and keep moths away or simply decorations.

29 comments:

  1. Hi! Darling blog! I shared the link on my FB Daycare Group = I think the ladies there will love your blog! I'm following you back from harvest of friends blog hop (congrats on being the featured blogger today!) have a very Merry Christmas!

    Tina 'the book lady'
    http://familyliteracy2.blogspot.com
    http://givingsharing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing our site! The more the merrier!

      Delete
  2. Never thought of putting these in the closet before! What a great idea! Following you on "Linky" from the blog hop. Congratulations on the feature! If you could check out my blog and follow back on linky I would be ever grateful!
    Katie from the simple lane
    http://lifeinthesimpleln.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm sure "little man" will have memories of his own of a childhood shared with his mother. What could be better than that?

    TracyAnn of www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog through Nanny2Mommy's blog hop. I'm following you, feel free to come check out my blog and follow back if you'd like!
    Lolalucy09.blogspot.com

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited and followed! Totally love your pix!!

      Delete
  5. I love the name of your blog. Very Catchy! Thanks for stopping by and following me. I am now doing the same. Cute oranges!

    Candice
    www.lillythroughthevalley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can smell it over here! I'd love you to come link up at my Pin Me Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting post! I will do these pomanders with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were always a childhood fave of mine! Hope you have loads of fun making them together!

      Delete
  8. So cool! This brings back memories for me! My mom had made one so long ago, and I always thought it was so neat. Also, smelled so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how smells can trigger memories!

      Delete
  9. I used to make these every Christmas because of how wonderful they smelled. It's been a while. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is amazing how certain smells can trigger wonderful memories!
      Be blessed!

      Delete
  10. What a great craft! Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm following you back!

    ~Heather
    http://notesfromthenelsens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had totally forgotten about orange and clove pomanders, I love the smell! I used to have one hanging from the key of my wardrobe. I must remember to make some more, thank you for the memory jog :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember making these as a kid, too :) Thanks for linking up at Sweet Saturday, I found your lovely blog a while ago, and am glad you now found me and I can catch up! You have very cute craft ideas here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely idea - smells do make the best memories!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I bet a few of these hanging around will make the whole house smell wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing on We Made That.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love pommades. So Christmassy!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  16. We used to make these as kids! Love the smell!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how fun!! We loved these as well as kids. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember these! They used to smell so good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice pick. it's very Useful Article.

    abhiram astrology center. Best Astrologer In sadashivanagar

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow..amazing post blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free
    Visit here
    Vashikaran Astrologer in Jayanagar

    ReplyDelete